Tuesday 24 June 2008

Me and Dr. Who

It may not pay immediately, or at all, but if you want to publish your thoughts to a potentially huge international audience, you can do so here and now.

Blogs are one example, another is the ezine.

I am an 'expert author' on ezines.com (not to be mistaken for the subtly different 'ezine.com,' which you have to pay for.)

As Featured On Ezine Articles

See- I even got a badge!

All you have to do is write an article on a subject about which you are passionate (or at least know something about,) and upload it.

Your first articles will take about a week to appear (after that you get upgraded to platinum, and it's a shorter process.) All work is edited to make sure that it adheres to their rules of publication.
The editors are very strict about the rules, which is a good thing, because it means that people are not disrespecting their readers, and children are not going to read things they shouldn't.

I once tested one of the rules, and was found guilty. I sent in an article based on a Blog I'd written about different writers' approaches. I'd mentioned that some writers start at the beginning and, with no plan, go where the novel takes them. My comment was that 'I couldn't write like that as long as I'd got a hole in my ****, or if you're American ***.'
The article took a little longer to go through the editorial process than others had, so I guessed that there may have been some debate about my asterisks (no pun intended.)


Eventually I got an email which said that I had contravened a rule by including a serious profanity in my article. I'm not sure whether they meant ****, or ***, so removed both, resubmitted, and it was immediately published.

Another rule regards self-publicity. A blog can be unashamedly self-publicising and narcissistic. I could publish pages of:

memememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememe...
and it would stay there. An ezine article has to be about a subject other than yourself.

You are, however, allowed to put in two 'self-serving' links to other sites.

At first I submitted articles purely about writing. These had links to my Blog and YouTube videos. I then decided to write an article about another interest of mine- house rabbits.

Now although I enjoy sharing knowledge (and it is a nice feeling for a writer to know that someone somewhere is reading his stuff, whatever it's about) the main reason for my web presence is to get my novel 'Tasting the Wind' out there.

But there is nothing more annoying than finding that an interesting article has links which are nothing to do with the subject, and are probably trying to sell you something.
So on my House Rabbit article I have put one link, which is to my MySpace page, where you can see pictures and videos of cuddly bunnies. Oh... and you can hear or read the prologue to my novel... but that just happens to be there...

Another thing that you are asked not to do with your ezine articles is reproduce your Blog, because if one of your links is your blog page then it's a little bit boring for your readers to be directed from your articles to identical content.
I have to admit to doing this at first, although I have tried now to add some variation, hence the House Rabbit article.

One Blog which I turned directly into an article was my 'DaVinci Code' parody, 'The DaDisney Code.' Interestingly, this got the most immediate hits and the greatest number of URL clicks- most of them checking, I imagine, if I was still roaming the street and, if so, was I in their neighbourhood.

The lesson, I think, is that referring to big names and well known reference points such as Dan Brown and the DaVinci code will draw more attention than 'Allan Mayer's ideas on writing.'
Which brings me to Dr. Who. The new series is currently approaching its climax on British Television. The show is so big that Dr.Who is ranking very highly as a top search on Google. So... my current ezine submission which, as I write this, is pending publication, is about Dr. Who.
I have added one link, which is my website. Which just happens to mention 'Tasting the Wind.'

Did I tell you that I'd written a novel...?



My Zimbio
Top Stories

No comments: